Textbooks and Course Materials Information for Students
While the lower level of the Holmes Student Center undergoes renovation, textbooks and course materials are available exclusively online at NIUHuskieshop.com.
You can quickly search, browse and shop for all your NIU essentials from a computer, tablet or phone.
Books are available throughout the term/semester. We accept multiple payment methods including financial aid via OneCard and offer easy return policies aligned with add/drop class dates.
Follett Higher Education – an established, nationally recognized leader in the college textbook industry - manages Huskie Books and Gear in the Holmes Student Center.
Digital and Rental Textbooks
To keep prices as low as possible, we offer a robust selection of digital and rental books that help offset the costs of new textbooks.
- Rental books cost on average about 55 percent less than the price of new book prices; often, the discounts go as high as 80 percent off.
- You get a risk-free rental policy that allows highlighting, taking notes and the ability to easily convert a rental to a purchase should you decide to keep it.
- Digital books cost 50 to 60 percent less than new books, on average.
We also offer a price-match program at our campus store for course materials, including used books, with Amazon and Barnes and Noble online stores. The difference in price is provided on a store gift card that can then be used toward other course material or supply purchases.
Note: we do not price match online marketplace prices, such as Chegg, Amazon Prime and Amazon warehouse deals.
How can I find affordable textbooks?
- Consider renting texts
- Explore the Cengage Unlimited program
- Use Library reserves and open access materials
- Access free e-books
- Talk to subject area librarians
- Visit the library's textbook affordability guide for more information.
Did you know that students can purchase up to $700 in textbooks and charge it to their bursar account?