The Holmes Student Center (HSC), at the center of campus, is a gathering place for students, faculty, staff and visitors to NIU. Check out our many services and facilities in the HSC!
According to NIU's archives, the Holmes Student Center "opened its doors in the fall of 1962 to an enthusiastic university community. President Leslie Holmes wanted the Center to become a focal point for Northern, the 'hearthstone that everyone could share equally.' He envisioned it as having a unifying force that would hold the university community together as the school grew larger and larger." Today, the center bearing President Holmes' name still serves everyone in the university and the DeKalb community.
We invite you to use the HSC amenities to dine, study, meet with friends and colleagues, shop, sleep and play. For more information about all the HSC has to offer, check our directory or contact our helpful staff.
Huskie Books and Gear Announcement
- While the Holmes Student Center is under renovation students should order books through the Huskie Books and Gear website NIUHuskieshop.com
- Online order pick up will be at the ticket windows in the hall near the Gallery lounge across from the Capital Room South entrance.
- OneCard use will be accepted online and in store from August 13th –September 7th . OneCard purchases cannot be shipped to home and must be signed for with their OneCard present at time of pickup.
- For the start of Fall 18 term only we will be offering limited access to the Huskie Books and Gear Bookstore basement for clerk service August 24th –September 7th . Students can enter the west side of the Holmes Student Center and access the basement for service. Huskie Books and Gear Bookstore expects long lines and wait times for clerk service as this can be a timely process. Online ordering at NIUHuskieshop.com will be the most efficient use of our students time and is highly recommended.
- Huskie Books and Gear Bookstore will have a computer lab set up in the bookstore to provide face to face navigational help of our website and to give students without computers or those just learning of the new process a physical place to go to place orders.
For additional information, please contact Nate Wunsh, Manager, Huskie Books and Gear Bookstore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer 2018 Hours
Sunday, May 13- Sunday, August 19
7 a.m. -9 p.m.
Building closing procedures begin as early as one and one-half hours prior to closing.Regular building hours of 7 a.m. to 12 a.m. resume on Monday, August 20th.
Labor Day Weekend Hours
Saturday, September 1
7 a.m. -6 p.m.
Sunday, September 2 - Monday, September 3
Tuesday, September 4
7 a.m. -12 a.m.
Closed through fall 2019.
For information and hours visit Campus Dining Services.